Cochran Park at Summit and Western Avenues was a cherished spot for neighborhood children to play in the early 20th century (F. Scott Fitzgerald played touch football here and features the park in his “Scandal Detectives” short stories). In 1926 Saint Paul businessman and civic leader Thomas Cochran Sr. donated the land to the City along with the magnificent sculpture “Indian Hunter and Dog” which he had commissioned from fellow Saint Paulite Paul Manship. In 1927 the sculpture was installed in a shallow blue-tiled pool and encircled by four cast bronze geese spouting water.
The fountain is being restored and new plantings are being added to the park to replace hedges that died out. Ramsey Hill Association, which has long been the steward of this jewel of a green space, is leading the fundraising for the fountain.
The City of Saint Paul has received a major MN Historical Society Legacy Grant to assist with the restoration of the tiles and sculptures.
- Creation of new artisan-made tiles
- Sculpture restoration/conservation
- New shrubs/hedges planted
- Iron railing removed, cleaned, painted and replaced
- Tiles installed
- Sculptures installed, fountain put back in operation
This project has been financed in part with funds provided by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society.