Frogtown Community Center
Saint Paul Parks and Recreation has opened the new beautifully designed Frogtown Community Center (formerly known as Scheffer Recreation Center) at 230 Como Ave. The facility was designed by JLG Architects and built by Shaw-Lundquist Associates.
The new building offers expanded amenities, including a large Gym, Walking Track, Fitness Center, Dance Studio, Catering Kitchen, Teen Room, Large and Small Meeting Rooms. Outdoors the center features Basketball Court, Football Field, Soccer Field, Baseball Field, Lacrosse Field, Badminton/Sepak Takraw Court, and Playground.
The next and final piece to revitalizing this community asset is to add a green roof. In addition to promoting environmental sustainability, the green roof will add outdoor recreation and fitness space with surprising views over the city.
This site enjoys a stunning view of the state capitol building, as well as the turf fields of the community center. It will offer an outdoor option for the many community-based events taking place in the adjacent to the 2nd floor multi-purpose/community room and the very active dance studio.
The space will host a schedule of outdoor yoga, pilates and art classes. Part of the green roof space will be used for vegetable and pollinator gardens tended by youth and families at the community center. Produce grown here will be used in main floor teaching kitchen for a true “farm to table” educational experience for youth.
The green roof also supports our goals to make our city more sustainable and energy efficient. This 2,307 square feet amenity offers the following benefits:
- Absorption & filtration of rainwater reduces stress on City’s sewer system from continued expansion
- Additional thermal resistance for the building
- Some estimates include a 20-25% reduction in Air Conditioning costs
- Reduces noise transmission
- Mitigates urban heat island effect (this neighborhood is in a critical heat island zone)
- Provides natural habitat for plants, birds and insects
- Helps reduce urban dust and smog
- Informative and educational to visitors